
Hong Kong residents on Saturday paid a heartfelt tribute with tears and flowers to the victims of the massive Wang Fuk Court fire in Tai Po, urging the Hong Kong special administrative government to swiftly find the truth to prevent future tragedies, and calling for more substantial support for those affected.
The blaze – the deadliest ever recorded in modern Hong Kong history – raged for 43 hours from Wednesday afternoon until Friday morning. The latest death toll stands at 128, with 79 people injured and thousands of families displaced.
A three-day citywide mourning period began with an official memorial service early Saturday morning as residents swarmed special venues set up across the city’s 18 districts to sign condolence books.
By the afternoon, the Fu Heng Neighborhood Community Centre in Tai Po had been packed with mourners, many weeping openly.
RELATED ARTICLES
A long, orderly queue stretched dozens of meters from outside the center to indoors, where a banner was hung high up, expressing the city’s deep grief over the heavy loss of lives. One by one, the mourners bowed, wrote their feelings in the condolence books and laid floral tributes before leaving quietly. The visitors spanned all ages, with some elderly residents supporting each other as they made their way slowly into the center.
Veronna Fu, a 50-year-old clerical worker, was choked with emotion when she spoke to China Daily. Her greatest wish, she said, is for the injured to recover quickly, and expressed deep respect for the heroic firefighters who had “done their utmost and deserve our tribute”.
She urged the community and the SAR government to address the underlying issues behind the tragedy, including potential corruption. She pointed out that many older housing estates in Hong Kong are similar to Wang Fuk Court and will also require renovation in the future, urging the authorities to act promptly to prevent a repeat of such a disaster.

A Tai Po resident surnamed Leung, with red-rimmed eyes, came with her husband to lay flowers. Working in engineering herself, Leung said she found the fire had spread at an alarming speed and urged the government to provide a clear investigation report with answers for the public.
She said the fact that her friends – firefighters and medical workers – who were at the frontline made her to follow the disaster closely.
To those still displaced, Leung said words now seem superfluous and she would like to give a hug if possible. She hoped the affected residents would speak up about their needs, assuring them the community is ready to help.
Walking with faltering footsteps, a 74-year-old woman surnamed Yuen made her way to the condolence point, moved by the tragedy.
Yuen, who lives in nearby Fu Heng Estate, said she was heartened to see so many people donating money and supplies. Her voice filled with emotion, she spoke of the firefighter who lost his life just before his wedding and expressed her heartfelt hope that the survivors would find the strength to persevere in the face of their devastating losses.
Contact the writer at amberwu@chinadailyhk.com
