Published: 12:01, August 22, 2026
Israel denounces Turkiye as Ankara requests Interpol Red Notice for Netanyahu
By Xinhua
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu casts his ballot in his Likud party primary elections ahead of Israel's general election in October, in Jerusalem, Aug 17, 2026. (PHOTO/AP)

JERUSALEM – The Israeli Prime Minister's Office issued a strong response to Turkiye and its President Recep Tayyip Erdogan following Turkiye's request on Friday for an Interpol Red Notice against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

"Israel has long been unimpressed by Turkiye's hypocrisy," the Israeli statement said, referring to the Turkish leader as "an antisemitic dictator".

The statement added that, "He now seeks to extend his aggression against Israel into Syria. Israel will not tolerate it."

It noted that Israel will continue to "act with determination against Turkiye's attempts to disrupt stability in the region and against any threat to its security".

In a post on X earlier in the day, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said the judicial process regarding the attack carried out against activists of a global flotilla, which set sail to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza, "continues with determination".

The global flotilla set sail from Turkiye in May in an attempt to break Israel's blockade of Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians, but was later intercepted by Israel, with those on board subsequently deported.

ALSO READ: Israel accused of ignoring global demands to allow aid into Gaza

Referring to an arrest warrant for Netanyahu issued on July 14 by an Istanbul court on the charge of "genocide", the minister said a request has been made to the Interior Ministry for the issuance of a red notice for Netanyahu at the international level.

He added that relevant documents have also been forwarded to the Foreign Ministry for further action.

On Tuesday, Israel acknowledged that it bombed an airbase in Syria, saying the attack was carried out because Syria enabled Turkish forces to deploy at the base.

Turkiye condemned the Israeli attack and dismissed allegations of a Turkish military presence at the Syrian airbase.