
MANILA – The Philippines' justice department on Thursday ordered the arrest of Senator Ronald Dela Rosa based on an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC). Dela Rosa has been reportedly linked to the anti-drug crackdown launched under former president Rodrigo Duterte.
Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida said the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation had been directed to enforce the ICC arrest order against Dela Rosa, labeling him as "fugitive from justice."
The Philippine Supreme Court on Wednesday held a vote and decided to deny Dela Rosa's prayer for a temporary restraining order or status quo ante order to block Philippine authorities from arresting him based on any warrant from the ICC.
The legal counsel of Dela Rosa said on Wednesday that they will ask the Supreme Court to reconsider its decision to reject Dela Rosa's request. His lawyers said in a statement that they will exhaust every remedy available under the law.
On May 11, Dela Rosa sought judicial protection and asked the Supreme Court to immediately stop any attempt to arrest or surrender him to the ICC. On the same day, the ICC unsealed an arrest warrant for Dela Rosa, which had originally been issued as secret in November 2025.
ALSO READ: Philippines says won't cooperate with ICC investigation
Dela Rosa called on the public to take action to block his transfer to the ICC on social media on May 13, saying that operatives from the National Bureau of Investigation and police would arrest him after a senate session.
During the night on May 13, Philippine military personnel and agents from the National Bureau of Investigation entered the Senate building, where gunshots and panicked shouts from the crowd were heard. No casualties were reported from the incident. Philippine Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano on May 14 confirmed that Dela Rosa was no longer inside the Senate building.
There have been no reports of Dela Rosa being arrested currently.
