Published: 09:27, August 19, 2026
Trump: No talks or conversations going on or scheduled with Iran
By Xinhua
Pedestrians cross an intersection as motorbikes wait for the green light in downtown Tehran, Iran, Aug 17, 2026. (PHOTO/AP)

WASHINGTON/TEHRAN/DOHA – US President Donald Trump on Tuesday said there were no conversations taking place or scheduled with Iran, noting that the Hormuz Strait is open.

"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating," Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

All water mines have been removed or detonated, said Trump. 

Strait of Hormuz

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said Tuesday the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened unless the US fulfills its commitments under the US-Iran memorandum of understanding (MoU), the official news agency IRNA reported.

Qalibaf, during a session of the legislative body, listed some of the conditions under the MoU for the waterway's reopening as lifting the anti-Iran naval blockade, releasing Iranian frozen assets, removing oil sanctions, and stopping threats and military operations on all fronts.

The US must implement all the provisions it has committed to under the MoU, otherwise the strait will not be opened, he said.

People spend time at a beach as commercial vessels are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Aug 5, 2026. (PHOTO/AP)

Regional efforts 

Also on Tuesday, Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al Ansari said that ongoing regional efforts are focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and returning to the US-Iran MoU.

Speaking at a weekly media briefing, Ansari said the latest escalation included "the violation of the ceasefire and the tensions at the Strait of Hormuz," adding that efforts are focused on ensuring a return to what was stipulated in the MoU.

Al Ansari said Qatar is still awaiting an agreement between Oman and Iran regarding the strait, which he said would help pave the way for a return to negotiations.

"The only way to move forward is a ceasefire, the opening of the Strait of Hormuz and going back to normal or freedom of navigation and going back to the negotiations," he said.

UAE statement on missiles

Separately, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei on early Wednesday rejected a statement by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) that two ballistic missiles were launched on Tuesday from Iran toward the UAE.

Baghaei made the denial in a statement, saying the UAE's behavior was in contradiction with the principle of good neighborliness and disrupted ongoing efforts to promote trust among regional countries and prevent the intensification of insecurity.

He called on regional countries to refrain from making "baseless" accusations "given the existing complications owing to the continued malicious acts by the United States and Israel against peace and security in the region."

ALSO READ: Iran warns of 'false-flag ploys' to sow discord with Iraq's Kurdistan region

Earlier in the day, the UAE's Ministry of Defense said its air defense systems detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward the country, adding that the missiles were targeting maritime traffic.

The ministry said that the first missile fell outside the UAE's territorial waters, while the second fell within the country's territorial waters.

The UAE's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said early Wednesday that the UAE has suspended all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, citing "regional escalations that undermine regional and international peace and security."

French diplomats 

Also on Tuesday, Iran declared two employees of the French embassy in Tehran, whom it had previously accused of engaging in "illegal" activities, persona non grata.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry announced the move days after the country's Intelligence Ministry said the two French diplomats had taken part in a secret meeting in Tehran in July with suspects of a "major case involving foreign infiltration and interference."

ALSO READ: Trump says Iran unwilling to agree to deal he considers necessary

The Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the French diplomats' activities were "in violation of international law, especially the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 1961."

The ministry said it declared the two French embassy staff persona non grata, thus prohibiting their entry into Iran, in view of the fact that the French government has not taken any action to rectify their behavior and guarantee the non-recurrence of such conduct weeks after the disclosure of their "illegal behaviors."