
WASHINGTON/TEHRAN – US President Donald Trump said on Monday that a "positive development" is happening and that he thought Iran was close to an agreement this time, hours after announcing a postponement of the resumption of military strikes against the country.
This time was "a little bit different" from previously stalled talks in which Washington thought a deal was close, he told reporters at the White House. "It's a very positive development, but we'll see whether or not it amounts to anything."
"We've had periods of time where we had, we thought, pretty much getting close to making a deal, and it didn't work out. But this is a little bit different," he said.
Trump added that the Gulf states asked him to hold off on attacks against Iran scheduled on Tuesday for a few days, but that the pause could last longer.
ALSO READ: Iran urges intl response to US demands
Meanwhile, the US president again stressed that it is a must for Iran to give up its nuclear program. "Now they have to put it down in writing," he said.
Trump has also said that he has instructed the Pentagon not to launch military strikes on Iran on Tuesday, as US allies in the Gulf are working to help reach an acceptable peace deal.
"We will not be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow," he wrote on Truth Social.
The president added that he has further instructed the Pentagon "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Trump said "serious negotiations" are taking place and that, in the opinion of Gulf leaders, a deal will be made, which will be "very acceptable" to the United States, all countries in the Middle East, and beyond.

Iran: US sent 'revised' points
Despite publicly rejecting Tehran's 14-point peace proposal, the US has sent a set of "revised" points and considerations to Iran through Pakistan, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Monday.
Speaking at a weekly press conference, Baghaei said the negotiation between the two sides remained ongoing.
"After Iran sent its 14-point (proposed) plan (to the US through Pakistan), the US side conveyed its considerations. We also presented our considerations in return. Although the American side publicly announced that this plan was rejected, we received from the Pakistani mediator a set of revised points and considerations from their (the Americans') point of view," Baghaei said.
Baghaei emphasized that Iran will certainly not negotiate or compromise on its rights, saying that the country's right to uranium enrichment has been recognized under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and does not need to be recognized by other parties.
READ MORE: Iran responds to US revised resolution plan as Trump warns 'clock is ticking'
Regarding the Strait of Hormuz, Baghaei said Iran has always made considerable efforts to ensure safe maritime traffic through the waterway and continues to emphasize the need for secure passage through the strait.
Given that the Strait of Hormuz is located in the territorial waters of Iran and Oman, the two coastal countries consider themselves duty-bound to implement the necessary measures to assure all countries of safe traffic, he added.
He blamed the "law-breaking" by the US and Israel for the present circumstances of the Strait of Hormuz, saying their attacks on Iran caused the country to adopt a set of measures under international law to defend national sovereignty, security and territorial integrity.
He said Iran is in contact with Oman and other relevant parties to develop a mechanism to ensure safe passage through the strait while safeguarding the sovereignty and security of coastal states.

Transfer of Iran's uranium
Iran's amended peace proposal includes the conditional transfer of the country's stockpile of enriched uranium to Russia instead of the US, Al Arabiya reported Monday.
In a post on social media platform X, Al Arabiya cited leaked details it has obtained from Iran's newest 14-point proposed plan for ending the war with the US, which has reportedly been sent to the Pakistani mediator.
READ MORE: US: Israel, Lebanon to extend ceasefire for 45 days
Al Arabiya said Iran has also agreed to a long-term nuclear freeze instead of the full dismantlement of its atomic program, adding that the country is seeking economic concessions instead of compensation for war damages.
Meanwhile, quoting a source close to the Iranian negotiating team, Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency reported Monday that Tehran has delivered its latest 14-point peace plan to the Pakistani mediator.
The source said the US recently sent a draft proposal in response to an earlier 14-point proposal of Iran, and Iran then delivered its latest proposal to Pakistan after making some revisions.
