Sina
Edition: CHINA ASIA USA EUROPE AFRICA
Home > Editor's Pick
Sunday, January 8, 2017, 10:34

Florida airport attacker charged, US seeks death penalty

By Reuters
Florida airport attacker charged, US seeks death penalty
Law enforcement personnel tell people to take cover at Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport, Jan 6, 2017, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. A gunman opened fire in the baggage claim area at the airport Friday, killing five people and wounding others before being taken into custody. (Wilfredo Lee / AP)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida – Police in Alaska took a handgun from the man accused of killing five people at Fort Lauderdale's airport on Friday, but they returned it to him last month after a medical evaluation found he was not mentally ill, authorities said on Saturday.

Esteban Santiago, a 26-year-old Iraq war veteran, had a history of acting erratically and investigators are probing whether mental illness played a role in the latest US mass shooting. According to court papers, he told agents he planned the attack and bought a one-way ticket to Florida.

Santiago was having terroristic thoughts and believed he was being influenced by ISIS

Chris Tolley, Anchorage Police Chief

Santiago was charged on Saturday in federal court and could potentially face the death penalty if convicted in the case, US prosecutors said.

Marlin Ritzman, special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's office in Anchorage, told a news conference Santiago walked into the office in November and said his mind was being controlled by a US intelligence agency. He was turned over to local police, who took him to a medical facility for a mental evaluation.

"Santiago was having terroristic thoughts and believed he was being influenced by ISIS (the Islamic State militant group,)" Anchorage Police Chief Chris Tolley told the news conference.

A handgun police took from Santiago during the evaluation was returned to him early last month, Tolley told reporters. The police chief said it was not clear if it was the same weapon used on Friday.

Officials in Anchorage said the gun was returned because Santiago had not been adjudicated to be mentally ill.

"As far as I know, this is not somebody that would have been prohibited (from having a gun) based on the information they had," US Attorney Karen Loeffler told the news conference.

Investigators said they have not ruled out terrorism as a motive and that the suspect's recent travel is being reviewed.

Federal prosecutors charged Santiago with carrying out violence at an airport, causing serious bodily injury, using a firearm during a crime of violence and causing death to a person through the use of a firearm, the US Department of Justice said in a statement.

Florida airport attacker charged, US seeks death penalty
This booking photo provided by the Broward Sheriff's Office shows suspect Esteban Ruiz Santiago, 26, Jan7, 2017, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida who police say opened fire Friday killing five people and wounding others at Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport. (Broward Sheriff's Office via AP)
He will appear in court in Fort Lauderdale on Monday.

Five people were killed and six wounded in the rampage, while about three dozen were taken to local hospitals with bruises or broken bones suffered in the chaos as passengers fled the crowded baggage claim area.

Santiago served from 2007 to 2016 in the Puerto Rico National Guard and Alaska National Guard, including a deployment to Iraq from 2010 to 2011, according to the Pentagon.

A private first class and combat engineer, he received half a dozen medals before being transferred to the inactive ready reserve in August last year.

Latest News