Sina
Edition: CHINA ASIA USA EUROPE AFRICA
Home > Editor's Pick
Thursday, August 6, 2015, 21:22

Some 200 migrants believed dead in shipwreck

By Xinhua

Some 200 migrants believed dead in shipwreck
A handout picture released by the Italian navy press office Marina Militare shows crew of the Italian navy destroyer Mimbelli rescuing survivors at the site where a boat carrying over 600 migrants capsized in the Mediterranean off the Libyan coast on Aug 5, 2015. ( AFP PHOTO / MARINA MILITARE)

VALLETTA - At least 200 migrants are feared to have died after their boat capsized off the Libyan coast on Wednesday with hundreds of people onboard. Some 400 have been rescued so far.

Hopes of rescuing more survivors are fading as Martin Xuereb, director of the Malta-based Migrant Offshore Aid Station which is involved in the rescue effort, tweeted "it's unlikely that any additional survivors will be picked up."

"Those that were on deck would have managed to jump, some of them drowned and some of them were saved," he added.

Officials initially feared hundreds had drowned but the UN refugee agency said 400 people had been rescued. Some 45 are now confirmed dead, according to Times of Malta's report.

The incident took place some 22 nautical miles north of Zuwarah, a major point of departure for many fleeing Libya.

The boat capsized when migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean to Italy moved all together towards the same side of the boat to ask for help when they saw a vessel approaching them, Federico Fossi from the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) told Rai state television.

Wednesday's migrant disaster was likely to be the biggest one since around 800 people drowned in a single accident when their boat sunk in April off the Libyan coast.

Latest News