Home > Nation
Thursday, August 6, 2015, 13:30

MH370: China seeks further investigation

By Xinhua

MH370: China seeks further investigation
Bao Lanfang, second from right, whose daughter-in-law, son, and granddaughter were aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, kneels in grief while speaking to journalists outside the company's offices in Beijing, Aug 6, 2015. (AP Photo / Mark Schiefelbein)

BEIJING - China on Thursday asked Malaysia to continue investigating the cause of the MH370 accident after the Malaysian side confirmed that debris found last week belonged to the missing Malaysian Airlines plane.

"The Chinese government expresses grief and sorrow for those on board, and extends profound sympathy and condolences to their families," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement.

In Kuala Lumpur, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said that "we have to respect the feelings of the relatives and understand the inner torment they've suffered in the past days. Of course, the rescue work has to be continued. We agree with the Malaysia that we need to find out the truth of the accident.''

She said the Chinese government requests the Malaysian side to act on its commitment, continue the investigation into the cause of the accident, provide the families with necessary help and uphold their lawful rights and interests.

Earlier on Thursday, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the debris discovered on Reunion Island was confirmed to belong to the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.

The plane went missing on March 8, 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 on board, most of them Chinese.

Earlier in the day, about a dozen Chinese passenger relatives protested outside Malaysia Airlines offices in Beijing the way Malaysian authorities handled the announcement linking the plane debris to MH370.

They held signs, including one reading "Malaysia hides the truth,'' and another expressing confidence that Chinese President Xi Jinping will help the relatives.

After several hours on Thursday morning, the group was invited into a closed-door talk with airline officials.

Latest News