Home > HK
Monday, April 24, 2017, 18:12

High Court court grants bail to former Hong Kong CE Donald Tsang

By Reuters
High Court court grants bail to former Hong Kong CE Donald Tsang
Former Hong Kong chief executive Donald Tsang leaves the High Court after securing bail on April 24, 2017. (Parker Zheng / China Daily)

HONG KONG – Former Hong Kong chief executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen was granted bail set for HK$100,000 by the High Court on Monday, after serving two months of a 20-month jail term on his conviction for misconduct in public office.

Donald Tsang is the most senior city official to serve time behind bars, bringing an end to what had been a long and distinguished career

Tsang has been prohibited from leaving the city pending the disposal of his appeal against the conviction. However, he is not required to report to police during this period.

The High Court did not reveal the date for the appeal trial.

The 72-year-old former leader was convicted in February on one count of misconduct in public office for failing to declare a conflict of interest when he approved a radio broadcasting license application from local broadcaster Wave Media between January 2010 and June 30, 2012.

At that time, Tsang was negotiating a lease on a three-storey penthouse in Shenzhen, where he intended to live in after his retirement, with the broadcaster’s major stakeholder Bill Wong Cho-bau.

Tsang, the highest-ranking official to be convicted in the city's history, stayed calm when Justice Wally Yeung Chun-kuen announced approval of his bail petition Monday.

Pointing out Donald Tsang’s unstable health condition, his wife Selina Tsang Pou Siu-mei said it was better for him to stay out of the prison.

Tsang also faces a retrial on a bribery charge which has been scheduled for Sept 26. He was accused of accepting an advantage from Wong — a HK$3.5 million-worth renovation of the penthouse.

READ MORE: Tsang's prosecution without prejudice, says CE

The trial is expected to last 25 days.

Tsang was transferred to the High Court in Admiralty on Monday from the Queen Mary Hospital, where he was sent to on March 13 after complaining breathing problems at the Stanley Prison.

Latest News