Home > HK
Thursday, November 3, 2016, 10:35

Radicals storm LegCo, injuring guards

By Luis Lu and Dara Wang in Hong Kong
Radicals storm LegCo, injuring guards
One of the six injured security guards at the Legislative Council is moved from the chamber for medical care on Wednesday. They were injured while stopping two separatist legislators-elect and their supporters from entering the meeting room. (Parker Zheng / China Daily)

Six Legislative Council security guards were injured, including one who was hospitalized, after two disgraced separatist lawmakers-elect and their supporters tried to storm into the chamber during Wednesday’s LegCo meeting .

The police entered the LegCo Complex to investigate as the LegCo Secretariat reported the case after the injured were taken away by ambulance.

Yau Wai-ching and Sixtus Leung Chung-hang had “kicked and struck” security officers with their “feet, knees and fists”

Lawmakers who later visited injured security guards in hospital quoted them as saying the two lawmakers-elect Yau Wai-ching and Sixtus Leung Chung-hang along with 14 of their companions, had “kicked and struck” security officers with their “feet, knees and fists”.

The clash paralyzed LegCo meetings once again — the third time in four weeks. The pair refused to apologize for the violent clash that injured LegCo security personnel. LegCo President Andrew Leung Kwan-yuen condemned the “organized violence” after he visited the injured staffers at Queen Mary Hospital. He said his decision to adjourn the meeting was made to ensure the safety of LegCo staff.

He said LegCo Commission would hold an emergency meeting next week to discuss security issues in the chamber. They might propose increasing the number of security staff at the next meeting, Leung added.

During the start of the meeting, Yau and Sixtus Leung burst into the LegCo chamber the minute fellow lawmaker Lau Siu-lai completed taking the oath. Based on a previous decision by Andrew Leung, the pair cannot be sworn-in until the High Court rules on a judicial review challenging the pair’s right to assume office.

Yau and Sixtus Leung carried their own loudspeakers and attempted to read out the oath in the chamber podium.

Andrew Leung ordered the pair to be expelled from the chamber. Yau was marched out by LegCo security staff while Sixtus Leung, shielded by opposition lawmakers, managed to stay.

Under these circumstances, LegCo president announced a change in venue. The assembly was disrupted for about half an hour before lawmakers could convene to another room.

The two had pledged not to charge into the chamber again but went back on their word and launched the latest incident.

Chairwoman of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong Starry Lee Wai-king said anyone involved in the latest violent incident or who helped it should be held responsible for breaking LegCo meeting rules.

Latest News