Sina
Edition: CHINA ASIA USA EUROPE AFRICA
Home > HK
Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 19:21

Wang Chau expansion plan to be out in 2018

By chinadailyasia.com

Wang Chau expansion plan to be out in 2018
This photo shows a g eneral v iew of  Wang Chau area in Yuen Long d istrict. (Photo provide to China Daily)

HONG KONG - The development plan for phases two and three at Wang Chau is likely to be out in 2018, along with comprehensive brownfield development guidance from the Planning Department, a Housing Department source said.

The number of housing units to be developed remains 4,000 for phase one and 13,000 for phases two and three, the source said.

This was in response to public doubts about a reduction of the development scale, as the government was said to have faced strong opposition from rural leaders and local residents.

The reasons for the delay of the development lie in difficulties in handling brownfields, environment protection and unemployment fears in relevant factories and industrial projects, the source said.

A systematic guide to brownfield development in the New Territories will be blueprinted in 2018, according to the source. Thus the Housing Department plans to put forward its plans for the second and third phases of the Wang Chau development project at around the same time, the source said.

The source also predicted a large number of development plans at other sites in the New Territories will be outlined around that time.

However, the source admitted that a delay in the second and third phases of Wang Chau development is inevitable. Previously the consulting company commissioned by the government, Arup, put in its report that the two phases would be completed in 2026.

Latest News