Home > HK
Thursday, April 21, 2016, 16:07

I was lucky that I didn’t get hurt: CE

By Shadow Li

I was lucky that I didn’t get hurt: CE

Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying arrives at the Eastern Magistrates' Courts in Sai Wan Ho on April 21, 2016. (Roy Liu / China Daily)

HONG KONG – Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying told the Eastern Magistrates' Court that he was lucky to escape injury when a glass cup was thrown at him by radical legislator Raymond Wong Yuk-man, whose trial for common assault continued Thursday.

"I was lucky that I didn't get hurt," Leung said.

Leung reflected that since the glass cup had shattered near him, his eyes could have been injured by flying debris.

Referring to a piece of glass that he had retained after the incident, Leung said, "Apart from the shard that I collected, there were a lot of glass fragments. Some of them were really tiny. Any one of them could have wounded me, or my eyes."

The CE was answering questions on the second day of his unprecedented testimony over an incident in which Wong is alleged to have thrown a glass at the CE. Wong is charged with common assault.

The incident took place during a routine meeting of the Legislative Council which the CE attended in July 2014.

As the morning’s hearing opened, Wong asked the court to order the prosecution to hand over to him all "unused materials" and their original copies. He applied for an adjournment until after he has studied all the materials.

Magistrate Chu Chung-keung rejected both petitions, ruling there was no evidence of the prosecution’s withholding materials in the case.

Wong, who is unrepresented by legal counsel, slowed the proceedings considerably on Thursday by attending to minute details of the case, including the precise wording of the CE’s written deposition to police.

During cross-examination on Thursday morning, Wong was stopped by the judge several times for repeating himself or being unable to produce clear questions.

Leung was forced to temporarily leave court twice during the hearing in the morning, waiting for Wong to clarify or explain his questions for the judge.

Chu asked Wong to explain why he kept asking questions about what Leung did after leaving LegCo for Government House, including whom he met and talked to before handing a glass shard picked up from the scene in the LegCo chamber to his bodyguard and whether the bodyguard had alerted the police.

Leung said he did not talk to anyone about the details of this case.

Wong, unlike other legal personnel in court, mainly spoke facing the area where reporters and spectators sat instead of facing forward toward the judge.

When asked whether it had been dangerous to put the sharp glass shard in his pocket, Leung said it was more dangerous when the shard was flying in his direction.

Wong asked Leung to give a demonstration in court to see how he put the shard in his pocket without wrapping it up in paper. But the judge questioned the need for this and denied Wong’s request.

A video recording of Leung’s opening remarks in the LegCo chamber after the incident was played in court on Thursday morning.

In it, Leung said there was increasing radical behavior in the council – noting pointedly that someone had just then thrown an object (a glass cup) with everyone watching.

Pushing and shoving erupted outside the courtroom Thursday morning as the court prepared to continue hearing the case.

The clashes broke out after Wong’s supporters planted a flag in the demonstration area of the courthouse, causing consternation among Leung’s supporters.

Latest News