Sina
Edition: CHINAASIAUSAEUROPEAFRICA
Home > HK
Saturday, March 7, 2015, 13:20

Beijing promises flexibility in visit scheme

By Xinhua
 Beijing promises flexibility in visit scheme

Chinese mainland visitors check the goods they bought outside the Sheung Shui MTR station in Hong Kong. (Parker Zheng / China Daily)

BEIJING - China will continue to optimize and adjust the individual visit scheme for Chinese mainland travelers to Hong Kong if needed, the minister of commerce Gao Hucheng said on Saturday.

As the number of mainland travelers to Hong Kong keeps increasing, some new situations and new problems have arisen, Gao said at a press conference on the sidelines of the ongoing National People's Congress annual session.

"Any city will have a limit for receiving tourists in terms of services, hospitality capability and infrastructure. This is determined by the city's commitment to the input of hospitality capability," said Gao.

The visit scheme for mainland travelers to Hong Kong was piloted first in 2003 and played an indispensable role in promoting Hong Kong's economic development and expanding local employment, according to Gao.

The minister said the central government was very concerned with these new problems. The relevant department was in close touch with the government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and have taken various measures, he said.

"I believe it will not affect the people-to-people exchanges and the economic and trade cooperation between the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong," he said.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying said last Tuesday that the individual visit scheme for tourists from the Chinese mainland is not expanding and the government is seeking to tighten it up.

A spokeswoman for the top legislature, when commenting on recent frictions between some Chinese mainland visitors and Hong Kong residents on Wednesday, said the two sides should enhance mutual respect and "think more of each other's good."

Data showed overall number of mainland tourists visiting Hong Kong during the Lunar New Year was similar to last year, but the number of those came under the visit scheme dropped.

 
 
 
Latest News