Sina
Edition: CHINA ASIA USA EUROPE AFRICA
Home > Business
Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:50

Revised Sino-US negative list offers in Sept

By Xinhua
Revised Sino-US negative list offers in Sept
Yang Jiechi, State Counselor, People’s Republic of China shakes hands with US Secretary of State John Kerry (right) at the conclusion of the Strategic Track Oceans meeting during the seventh US-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue at the US State Department in Washington DC, June 24, 2015. (AFP PHOTO / CHRIS KL EPONIS)

WASHINGTON - China and the United States will exchange the second offers of negative lists, which outline sectors closed to foreign investment, for negotiations on a bilateral investment treaty (BIT) in early September, a senior Chinese official said on Wednesday.

The two sides discussed their initial offers of negative lists and the next step in BIT negotiations during the seventh round of China-US Strategic and Economic Dialogue (S&ED), China's Vice Finance Minister Zhu Guangyao said at a press briefing after the two countries wrapped up their two-day high-level talks here.

Both sides agreed that it is "a milestone event", but it is necessary to realize that "there's much room for improvement" on the negative lists, Zhu said.

The two countries agreed to exchange their improved negative list offers in early September after intensive negotiations in the coming months, the Chinese official added.

The investment treaty talks began in 2008 as China and the United States sought to increase mutual investment, which only accounted for a tiny share of their respective overseas investment.

But it was not until the 2013 S&ED meetings that the talks entered a substantial phase after the two countries agreed to conduct negotiations on the basis of pre-establishment national treatment with a negative list approach.

The two sides exchanged initial negative list offers at their latest round of talks in Beijing earlier this month, which ushered in a new phase of bilateral negotiations.

Latest News