Sina
Edition: CHINA ASIA USA EUROPE AFRICA
Home > Asia
Thursday, August 25, 2016, 16:12

US$90,000 for each WWII sex victim: Seoul

By Associated Press

US$90,000 for each WWII sex victim: Seoul
In this July 28, 2016 file photo, protesters hold the portraits of the former South Korean sex slaves who were forced to serve for the Japanese military in World War II, during a rally against the establishment of the Japanese government-funded Reconciliation and Healing Foundation in Seoul, Republic of Korea. (AP Photo / Ahn Young-joon. Fil e)
SEOUL, Republic of Korea (ROK) — The Republic of Korea (ROK) said Thursday that surviving ROK women who were forced into sexual slavery by Japan's military in World War II will be eligible to receive around 100 million won (about US$90,000) each from a foundation that will be funded by the Japanese government.

Seoul's Foreign Ministry said that the families of deceased victims will be able to receive about 20 million won (US$18,000), and added it expects the Japanese government to soon transfer a promised 1 billion yen (US$9.9 million) to a foundation formally launched in Seoul last month.

ROK and Japan agreed to set up the foundation in December as they settled a decades-long dispute over ROK sex slave victims. Seoul says there are currently 46 surviving ROK victims and 199 victims who had died.

The opening of the foundation's office in Seoul was met by protests from activists and students who criticized the December agreement, which remains controversial in ROK where many believe the Seoul government settled for far too less.

Under the agreement, which was described by both governments as "irreversible," Japan pledged to fund the foundation to help support the victims.

ROK, in exchange, vowed to refrain from criticizing Japan over the issue and will try to resolve a Japanese grievance over a statue of a girl representing victims of sexual slavery that sits in front of the Japanese Embassy in downtown Seoul.

Latest News