Sina
Edition: CHINAASIAUSAEUROPEAFRICA
Home > Asia
Thursday, August 6, 2015, 10:29

Australia vows to continue MH370 search

By Xinhua

 Australia vows to continue MH370 search

CANBERRA - Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott vowed on Thursday to continue searching for Malaysia Airlines flight 370, following Malaysia's announcement the piece of wreckage that washed up on Reunion Island was from the missing jet.

He told 3AW radio that Australia's search for the missing Boeing 777-200ER would continue in the current search area.

"We do continue to search. I think so far we have allocated 100 million dollars toward the search costs in the distant Indian Ocean," he said.

"The fact that this wreckage does now very much look like it is from MH370 does seem to confirm that it went down in the Indian Ocean," the prime minister added.

"It does seem very consistent with the search pattern we've been using for the last few months and let's hope we can turn something up."

Abbott said Australia "owes it to the families" of the missing passengers to continue to search for the ill-fated jet, which was carrying 239 people including six Australians.

"We owe it to the families of the people lost on that plane to try to solve the mystery (and) we owe it to the traveling public who obviously want to be confident of their safety in the air," he told 3AW.

Abbott's comments came after the announcement made by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, who revealed the news from Paris early

 
Latest News