BEIJING — China on Wednesday unveiled the first set of lists of US goods to be excluded from the first round of additional tariffs on US products.
The exemption will be effective from Sept 17, 2019 to Sept 16, 2020, the Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council said in a statement.
Sixteen types of US products will be excluded from the first round of additional Chinese tariffs with effect from Sept 17, 2019 to Sept 16, 2020
Two lists of goods will be excluded from China's first round of tariff countermeasures against the US Section 301 measures.
The first list includes 12 items and allows affected import enterprises to apply for refunds of collected duties within six months from Wednesday.
The second list includes four items that will enjoy the exemption but are not eligible for tariff refunds.
Next, the commission will continue to work on the exemption process and release subsequent lists in due course, according to the statement.
Top Chinese negotiators will travel to Washington for talks in the coming weeks, and lower-level officials will also hold discussions this month.
Both sides raised tariffs on each others' goods on Sept 1 in the latest escalation of trade tensions, and the US plans to add more tariffs. Both nations will increase them again on Dec 15 unless there is a breakthrough.
Applications for the second tranche of exclusions started on Sept 2 and will close on Oct 18, China's finance ministry said earlier on its website. That will be applied to the products subject to additional tariffs on American goods worth US$60 billion.
China said it will open the third tranche of tariffs up for exemption requests later, though it hasn't specified a date.
With inputs from Agencies
Copyright 1995 - 2020. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS