HONG KONG - More than half the 15 push scooters studied by the Consumer Council were found to fall short of toy safety requirements and pose risks of skin irritation or injury to children, the city’s consumer rights watchdog said on Thursday.
Calling the result “disappointing”, the council revealed that five of the tested scooters had a gap between wheels and wheel guards shorter than the required standard, which is between five and 12 millimeters.
According to the council, the steering tubes and platforms of the faulty models were not strong enough and could break or collapse easily
The council noted children might injure their fingers if they accidentally put them in the gaps of the infringing five scooters.
The council also found eight of the tested scooters failed to meet the European toy safety standards in terms of bearing capacity.
According to the council, the steering tubes and platforms of the faulty models were not strong enough and could break or collapse easily.
Of the studied models, 10 contained allergy-causing Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) and naphthalene on their handle grips.
Children can suffer skin irritation and even dermatitis if their skins absorb these chemicals when holding grip handles, the council said.
The council urged manufacturers to improve the body construction of scooters and advised parents to consider their children’s age, weight and balancing control ability when buying push scooters.
Parents should also teach their children to wash hands after playing with the scooters.
The 15 samples the council tested comprised four two-wheel scooters and 11 of the three-wheel types with weight capacity claims of 20 kg to 65 kg. They were priced at HK$198 to HK$850.
The Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department also conducted spot checks on scooters in various districts recently. Six out of 10 samples were found to pose a risk of trapping their users’ hands or causing them to fall.