Published: 16:34, August 23, 2026
2 killed, 10 injured due to Ukrainian drone attack in Russian-controlled Sevastopol
By Xinhua

In this file photo provided by Sevastopol Mayor Mikhail Razvozhaev's Telegram channel on June 10, 2026, firefighters put out a blaze after a Ukrainian drone hit a building housing a panoramic painting that depicts the defense of the city during the 19th century Crimean War in Sevastopol, Crimea. (PHOTO/SEVASTOPOL MAYOR MIKHAIL RAZVOZHAEV'S TELEGRAM CHANNEL VIA AP)

MOSCOW/KYIV – Two people were killed and 10 others injured in a Ukrainian drone strike in Russian-controlled Sevastopol, authorities said on Saturday.

According to local authorities, debris from a downed drone fell onto a passenger bus, setting the vehicle on fire.

Regional Governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said that two fatalities have been confirmed, a young man and a woman. "In total, 10 people have been injured so far, including one 16-year-old teenager. Doctors are providing them with all necessary emergency medical aid," he added.

At least three of the injured are in critical condition, he said, warning that the attack was still ongoing.

ALSO READ: 10 killed, 8 injured in Russian missile strike on Ukrainian town

Also on Saturday, the Russian Defense Ministry said air defense systems intercepted and destroyed 250 Ukrainian drones within 12 hours.

From 8 am to 8 pm Moscow time, Russian air defense systems shot down 250 Ukrainian fixed-wing drones across 19 regions, including Moscow, according to a statement released by the ministry.

Additionally, the number of drones flying toward the Moscow region over the past week has exceeded 2,600, Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin said, adding most of them were neutralized by air defenses on the distant outskirts.

As many as 493 drones were destroyed while approaching Moscow, the mayor noted.

Zelensky: France to accelerate air defense deliveries

Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Saturday that France has agreed to accelerate the delivery of equipment and missiles to Ukraine and will provide licenses for the production of relevant missiles, following a phone call with French President Emmanuel Macron.

Zelensky said in a social media post that he briefed Macron on recent strikes on Ukrainian territory, stressing that air defense systems remain Ukraine's most pressing need. He said Macron expressed readiness to help facilitate communication between Ukraine and other partner countries that have the necessary missiles for the Patriot air defense system.

READ MORE: 14 killed, 121 hurt in Russian drone strike on Ukrainian shopping center

Macron also posted on social media that he was shocked by the heavy civilian casualties caused by a strike on a shopping center in Ukraine. He said he had confirmed with Zelensky that France would step up support for Ukraine's air defense capabilities, in particular by providing interceptor missiles.

According to Ukrainian national news agency Ukrinform, Russian drone strikes hit a shopping center and other facilities in the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih on Friday, killing at least 16 people and wounding 130 others.