Published: 09:26, February 21, 2026
Venus Williams returns to Indian Wells with wild card entry
By Reuters
USA's Venus Williams hits a return to Serbia’s Olga Danilovic during their women's singles match on day one of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on Jan 18, 2026. (PHOTO / AFP)

Seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams has been awarded a wild card entry into Indian Wells, the tournament said on Friday.

Williams, 45, will compete in both singles and doubles at the Southern California desert event.

"It's great to be heading back to Indian Wells and returning home to California," Williams said in a statement.

"There’s nothing like competing in front of these incredible fans. I’ve made so many fun memories here over the years, and I’m grateful to the tournament for having me back," she added.

The four-time Olympic gold medallist and former world number one has reached the Indian Wells semifinals three times. She last competed there in 2024, also as a wild card.

Williams played at this year's Australian Open and reached the US Open doubles quarterfinals last year with partner Leylah Fernandez.

The tournament will be held from March 1-15.