Published: 14:43, February 17, 2026 | Updated: 16:54, February 17, 2026
Russia expands delegation to Ukraine talks in Geneva
By Xinhua
This photo, taken on April 21, 2025, shows the Kremlin and the Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, Russia. (PHOTO / XINHUA)

MOSCOW/GENEVA - The Kremlin said on Monday that Russia's delegation to talks on Ukraine in Geneva will be expanded, and a wide range of key issues including territorial matters are expected to be discussed.

"The delegation will be expanded this time. In addition to Russian presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Galuzin and other officials will take part," spokesperson Dmitry Peskov noted.

He added that Medinsky remains head of the Russian negotiating delegation. "This time we will discuss a broader spectrum of issues, covering key matters related to territories and other relevant issues linked to demands we have put forward," he said.

Peskov previously stated that the talks among Russia, the United States and Ukraine would resume on Tuesday and Wednesday. US presidential envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, son-in-law of the US president, will attend the negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday. 

ALSO READ: Zelensky hopes for serious, substantive talks with US, Russia

Since January, representatives of the three countries have held two rounds of talks in Abu Dhabi. 

On Monday evening, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs said the upcoming talks will be held behind closed doors. "Media representatives are not permitted to attend the trilateral talks between Russia, Ukraine and the United States," the Swiss foreign ministry said in a statement.

Drone attack in Russia's Bryansk

Separately, regional governor Alexander Bogomaz said "the most powerful and massive" drone attack was carried out by the Ukrainian military in Russia's Bryansk region since the start of the conflict, damaging energy infrastructure facilities.

He further said the attacks lasted for more than 12 hours from the morning on Sunday until around 8:00 pm local time (1700 GMT), while Russian forces intercepted and destroyed more than 170 fixed-wing drones during the time period.

A total of 229 drones were destroyed within 24 hours in the region starting from 8:00 am (0500 GMT) on Sunday, he added.

The strikes damaged multiple power supply facilities, temporarily disrupting electricity and heating services in five municipal districts of the region and parts of the regional capital, he said, noting that emergency crew restored power and heating after about three hours by repairing infrastructure and activating backup systems.

READ MORE: Defense ministry: Russia strikes Ukrainian energy, drone facilities

The Ukrainian military also struck other regions between Sunday and Monday. In the Belgorod region, 88 drones were detected over the past 24 hours, of which 51 were shot down.