RT Banner 2021V4.gif

China Daily

News> Sports> Content
Published: 14:17, September 15, 2021 | Updated: 14:29, September 15, 2021
Pele transferred out of intensive care, says hospital
By Reuters
Published:14:17, September 15, 2021 Updated:14:29, September 15, 2021 By Reuters

In this Dec 1, 2017 photo, Brazilian soccer legend Pele attends the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. (ALEXANDER ZEMLIANICHENKO / AP)

SAO PAULO - Pele has been moved out of intensive care and into a general room after the Brazilian soccer great underwent surgery to remove a tumor in his right colon, Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital said on Tuesday.

The hospital added in the statement that the 80-year-old is in good clinical condition.

A three-time World Cup winner, Pele was admitted to hospital earlier this month after a tumour in his right colon was found during routine tests. The tumour was removed and sent for analysis.

ALSO READ: Pele to leave intensive care this week, says daughter

Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !