RT Banner 2021V4.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Published: 09:13, July 22, 2021 | Updated: 15:31, July 22, 2021
US: Taliban now control about half of Afghan district centers
By Xinhua
Published:09:13, July 22, 2021 Updated:15:31, July 22, 2021 By Xinhua

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, holds a press conference on July 21, 2021, at The Pentagon in Washington, DC. (OLIVIER DOULIERY / AFP)

WASHINGTON - Afghan Taliban militants now control about half of the war-torn country's 419 district centers, a top US general said on Wednesday.

"Strategic momentum appears to be sort of with the Taliban," General Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a press conference.

While the militants have yet to capture any of the country's 34 provincial capitals, they are pressuring about half of them, said General Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff

"There's a possibility of a complete Taliban takeover, or the possibility of any number of other scenarios," Milley said. "I don't think the end game is yet written."

While the militants have yet to capture any of the country's 34 provincial capitals, they are pressuring about half of them, said Milley.

ALSO READ: Taliban launch huge offensive after missed US troops deadline

Afghan security forces are consolidating their positions to protect those major urban centers including Kabul, he said.

The Afghan provinces have been the scene of heavy battles between Taliban and the government security forces since the start of withdrawal of the US-led forces from Afghanistan early May.

US President Joe Biden has set a formal end to the US military mission in Afghanistan for Aug 31, days ahead of his original Sept 11 deadline.

US Central Command said last week over 95 percent of the withdrawal had been completed.

More than 2,400 US troops have been killed in Afghanistan over the past two decades, with 20,000 wounded, according to the Pentagon. Estimates show that over 66,000 Afghan troops have been killed, and over 2.7 million people have had to leave their homes.

READ MORE: Deadly attacks surge as US troops prepare to leave Afghanistan


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !