Director of the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office Wang Guangya has called for support from all sides in Hong Kong for the Chief Executive in ruling the SAR according to the law.
The top central official in charge of the SAR’s affairs gave his backing to the city’s leadership when he met with a delegation of the city’s agriculture and fisheries industry in the capital on Wednesday.
Steven Ho Chun-yin, a legislator of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, who represents the sector, relayed Wang’s message to the press after the meeting.
“He hopes all walks of life … would determinedly uphold the Basic Law, determinedly and fully cooperate with the SAR government and to support our Chief Executive, Leung Chun-ying, to rule with accord to the law, in order to bring the greatest benefits to Hong Kong,” said Ho.
The New Territories Association of Societies’ Chairman Brave Chan Yung, also a deputy to the National People’s Congress, said Wang dispelled the rumor of a “plan B” for the city’s top position, an issued raised by the director himself.
“They are aware that things have not been going smoothly for the new government, but they hope we could look into the issues together, and work side-by-side to improve the economy and quality of life in Hong Kong,” said Chan.
Wang, as quoted by Chan, raised a comparison between Hong Kong and the rest of the “Asian tigers”. While the city had once led the pack on the economic front, Wang said the city is now ahead of its rivals only in terms of political debates.
As the delegation expressed its opposition to the “Occupy Central” plan at the meeting, Wang was quoted calling for rational debate on the city’s political issues, rather than confrontation.
In Hong Kong, the “plan B” rumor was turned into a front page story in Next Magazine. Top legislator Jasper Tsang Yok-sing refused to comment on the baseless rumor and Executive Councillor Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee said she had not heard of it.
Tsang and Ip were named in the report as “potential successors” as they both had showed interest to run for the top post last year.
The same report also suggested that Barry Cheung Chun-yuen, chairman of the Hong Kong Mercantile Exchange, had asked for loans from triad heads. Cheung denied the accusation in a statement on Wednesday afternoon.
Cheung criticized the magazine, owned by opposition-leaning tycoon Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, for treating gossip and rumors as news. He also urged the publication to stop harassing his family.
- Building inspectors to strike over excessive workload
- US weighs ending spying on allied heads
- Block train service to Russia on fast track
- Reforms lift PetroChina Q3 profit
- Doctor-patient trust
- Get HKU back on academic track
- Filmmakers capture life in nine short minutes
- Private sector lures more medicos
- Guo gunning to go global in 60-footer
- Like fine wine, Li gets better with age