Sina
Edition: CHINA ASIA USA EUROPE AFRICA
Home > Nation
Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 21:15

Authority urges evacuation of landslide site

By Xinhua
Authority urges evacuation of landslide site
In this photograph taken on Dec 21, 2015, people rest in a temporary shelter for victims of a landslide that hit an industrial park in Shenzhen in south China's Guangdong province. (CHINA OUT AFP PHOTO / STR)

BEIJING - Shenzhen city government was ordered to evacuate an industrial park in the southern city after a waste heap collapsed and buried dozens of people on Sunday, according to a statement released by the Ministry of Civil Affairs on Wednesday.

The displaced should be resettled in safe places, said Vice Minister of Civil Affairs Dou Yupei, calling on local civil affairs departments to go door-to-door to check up the wellbeing of those in need.

Social workers and volunteers have been asked to offer counseling to the victims, including relatives of the dead and missing, to help them come to terms with the trauma.

By Wednesday afternoon, only one person has been rescued, two were pronounced dead at the scene while more than 70 remained missing, many of them migrant workers.

Tian Zeming, 21, a native of the southwestern municipality of Chongqing, was pulled from the debris around 6:30 am Wednesday and rushed to Guangming New District Central Hospital. Previous reports said that Tian was 19 years old.

Following surgery on Wednesday morning Tian is conscious and in a stable condition, said hospital president Wang Guangming. However, he is extremely weak, dehydrated and has sustained several soft tissue injuries and multiple fractures, Wang added.

The fallen debris seriously crushed Tian's right lower leg, but the hospital is doing as much as it can to save his lower limb, Wang added.

Tian was one of 76 people reported missing following the incident, which occurred just before midday on Sunday after a huge pile of construction waste on a hill collapsed, destroying much in its path.

Rescuers identified Tian's location at 1 am on Wednesday and pulled him from a collapsed factory building at 3:30 am.

Authority urges evacuation of landslide site

A survivor is found at the site of landslide at an industrial park in Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong province, Dec 23, 2015. (Xinhua / Jin Liangkuai)

Tian told rescuers his name and said that there was another survivor near him but after the person was pulled out, doctors pronounced him dead.

Firefighters had to squeeze into the narrow room around Tian and remove the debris by hands, said Zhang Yabin, an armed police participating in the rescue.

Before he was pulled out, Tian had been given oxygen and received intravenous infusion, Zhang said.

Heavy machinery continues to rake through thousands of tonnes of soil and rubble that it all that remains of factories and residential buildings, and even though the 72-hour golden period for saving lives has ended, rescuers have not lost hope.

"The rescue work won't slow down," Yue Xi, a police officer at the scene, told Xinhua.

Wang Guoshe, head of Guangdong fire department, said locating roofs of buildings buried under the rubble currently had the priority, so that signs of life could be detected more accurately.

On Wednesday morning, the State Council, China's cabinet, set up an investigation team to look into the disaster.

Minister of Land and Resources Jiang Daming is director of the investigation team, which includes team members from Ministry of Public Security, Ministry of Supervision, Ministry of Environmental Protection, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, State Administration of Work Safety, All-China Federation of Trade Unions, and the Guangdong Provincial Government and the Shenzhen Municipal Government.

Authority urges evacuation of landslide site
First survivor, named Tian Zeming, is send to the hospital this morning, more than 60 hours after the Shenzhen landslide. (Photo by Sun Fei / Xinhua)

Latest News